Monday, May 13, 2013

Easy by Tammara Webber

Coming in 2nd place for best young adult fiction AND 8th place for best goodreads author:



I was actually surprised with this book. I do my best not to read predictable fiction and I assumed this would be as well. My problem isn't so much with cliche love stories, my problem is I get bored of predictable or heroines that I cannot relate to. "Empty shells" that allow readers to place themselves amongst the character. That being said, I found the writing in this novel stronger than I expected and the character development way better than anticipated.

I heard that some people had issues with her rational reaction to assault. Without divulging too much plot line, I'd like to point out that are emotions do not follow a direct pattern. Not even on something that seems it would such as death or tragedy. As well, the strong point of this novel is her trying to battle through her emotions on the assault, despite not wanting to report him at first. Which is, and remains to be, one of the most common reactions to assault. It is usually backed up by, "No one will believe me" or "It's my fault." And is usually followed by shocking reactions from friends and family. If readers are unaware of how these reactions take place, as disgusting as it can be, I urge them to look into it so they can protect themselves and the people they love better. As it a very sad point of our current reality that 1/3 American women will be assaulted and more than 60% will not be reported. 


The negative review I have on this book was that I found some parts a bit over the top in angst. I feel the story plot could have been well written without needing all of the several dramatic gut punches.

It is really refreshing to see more YA novels with strong and realistic heroines. And hero's - despite the fact I never did find my fantasy man with gray eyes that I thought I was destined for as a teenager.

If you're looking for a bit of angst, a bit of love, and a bit of humor. This book might pleasantly surprise you as a modern day love story. 


When it comes to Easy?

 Shut Up and Read It.

No comments:

Post a Comment